Saturday, June 19, 2010

Journal#11

I took the consumer consequences quiz and was not surprised at the results. However I could not figure out how to paste the image onto the Blog. 4.8x was my score which means, number of Earths it would take to sustain all of the people on the planet if everyone lived like me. I already knew I needed to rethink my living habits, but this is proof. The Consumer Consequences quiz did inform me that, “Global acres represent the amount of biologically productive space on Earth. The planet has 26.7 billion global acres of land and ocean. That’s about 4.5 acres per person. If your lifestyle requires more than 4.5 acres, your score will equal more than one Earth.” That the equivalent of 21.6 acres! I believe the most wasteful attribute to the environment is the amount of food I consume, categorized with a 9. I love to eat, and am trying to gain muscle mass, but there has to be another way. Maybe I could do some research on foods that are high in protein and efficiently produced so I can continue with my workout schedule. I did fairly well on all of the other areas, Housing was a 3, and electricity and waste generation were both 2’s. Transportation was a 3 which may be a little on the light side, but I do drive a compact car which get 32 mpg. And as for shopping that is a solid 2 because I rarely spend money. Transportation and food consumption is where I have the biggest negative impact, but hopefully there are habits I can actually change to become a more sustainable human being.

No comments:

Post a Comment