Thursday, May 27, 2010

Journal#2 - Most memorable nature experience

Perhaps one of the most educational explorations into true nature I have taken was the kayaking trip through heart of the everglades with a few of my closest friends. It was a 3 day kayaking trip through everglades city, eventually turning into a very educational experience. I had all of the necessities, food, water, fishing poles, sleeping bag, and a map. I believe John Dewey’s philosophy of “hands on”, and experimental learning relate directly to our exploration. “ History of education is development from within, based upon natural endowments; and that education is a process of overcoming natural inclination.” Our journey was an extreme interaction with nature, paddling through the winding rivers of the everglades. We were blessed to have experience the beauty of the natural everglades landscape. On our journey we looked at life from a different angle, a circle that flows naturally without disturbance, a place were the only sounds you heard were birds chirping and mangrove leaves rustling. I observed wading birds feeding on fish and shrimp, and a few alligators stalking their prey. We also were inclined to do a little hunting for food of our own. With a fake shrimp jig attatched to my fishing line, I pulled in a beautiful snook that was later grilled for my diner. It was a privilage to eat this exotic fish, that can mainly be found in southwest Florida. On this trip we took with us a sense of discovery, freedom, and living independent, without disturbance. After this trip I learned to appreciate the southwest Florida environment more so than ever

No comments:

Post a Comment